CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
(Official university document is available at http://wns.ug.edu.pl/sites/default/files/_nodes/komunikat/61840/files/note.pdf)
Assistant Professorship (“adiunkt” in Polish terminology) in the Chair of Logic, Philosophy of Science and Epistemology is available at the Department of Philosophy, Sociology and Journalism, University of Gdansk, Poland. The position is to start some time between July 1 and September 1, 2017, for a fixed period of time with the possibility of extension. Decisions about the exact beginning date of the contract and the number of years will be made during the hiring process.
The successful candidate will be expected to do research in mathematical philosophy, teach about 230 hrs per academic year, apply for external research funding, participate in the research activities of the Chair, in the life of the department, and in the administrative work as necessary.
Candidates for Assistant Professorship are required to:
- have a PhD in a discipline relevant to mathematical philosophy,
- have relevant teaching experience,
- have carried out research in mathematical philosophy, publishing in international journals in the field.
English speakers are not required to speak Polish.
Applications should be submitted in (both) paper and digital versions.
PAPER VERSIONS should be composed of:
- An application letter for employment to the Rector of the University of Gdansk, Professor Jerzy Piotr Gwizdała (this is just an open-format letter stating the intention)
- The application form obtained from the University of Gdansk webpage:
(titled in Polish ‘Kwestionariusz osobowy dla osoby ubiegającej się o zatrudnienie JĘZYK ANGIELSKI’, the form itself is in English).
- Academic CV
- A covering letter describing in ca 1000 words the research plans for the next two years
- A copy of the PhD diploma.
Paper applications are to be sent by February 28, 2017 to:
Institute of Philosophy, Sociology and Journalism, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Gdansk, Bazynskiego 4, 80-309 Gdansk, Poland. Telephone number (+48) 58-523-45-15
With a note on the envelope „Application for Assistant Professorship” (What matters is the sending date on the stamp, as long as the digital application reaches the department by February 28).
DIGITAL VERSIONS should be sent by email, in the form of a single PDF file named
LAST NAME-FIRST NAME.PDF (e.g. URBANIAK-RAFAL.PDF).
Each digital application should be composed of the following parts (in the following order):
- Title page with name and contact data (including email address), listing also two referees who might be contacted with referee letter request (to be sent within two weeks from the request) if the application is shortlisted
- CV, including a publication list and describing relevant education and research experience
- A covering letter describing in ca 1000 words research plans for the next two years
- A sample paper, not related to the PhD thesis (if such a paper exists)
- PhD thesis
- Scanned version of the PhD diploma
Digital applications are to be sent also by February 28, 2017 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application deadline: February 28, 2017
- Shortlisting decisions: March 8, 2017
- Potential Skype interviews: March 20-30, 2017
- Decision: April 28, 2017
Applications should be made in Polish or English. Incomplete applications will be rejected without further notice.
The decision will be made within two months from the application deadline.
The decision is final with no right to appeal.
The University doesn’t provide housing.
The University reserves the right to close the hiring process without selecting a candidate. Candidates whose applications have been rejected will be informed.
Further information about the University of Gdansk can be obtained at:
Further information about Gdansk can be obtained at:
For informal inquiries, please contact prof. dr hab. Rafal Urbaniak at email@example.com.